School prefects have important roles that they play in schools, and the same needs to be realized by schools, parents and other stakeholders in education to know or be reminded on why it is cardinal to have prefects at schools. They have a bigger role to play in the maintenance of a friendly atmosphere, cooperation, peace, discipline and unity in the school. New vision school realizes the importance of prefect role in school, both at the classroom and school level. Prefects are chosen by teachers on the basis of their leadership skills.
Prefects have numerous roles that they execute at schools, these, for example include but not limited to:
- Act as a bridge between school authorities and pupils.
- Organize activities in collaboration with teachers and maintain order in the school and the class room.
Help to create a better learning environment at school.
- Remain vigilance on other pupils when they are in and out of school or classroom.
- To be role models to their fellow pupils.
- Lead by example in many ways. One of such ways is that they should be dressed appropriately at all times, observe school rules and maintain an excellent attendance record at school.
Remain punctual for lessons and duties.
- Be cooperative, helpful, well- mannered, trustworthy and responsible for them to be respected by fellow pupils.
- Should respect teachers and pupils as leaders and this is very important in their duties.
Prefects among themselves elect office bearers of school student council on one prefect one vote basis.
They must not take this as an opportunity to intimidate or bully other pupils. Being a prefect is not a passport to becoming a bully at school.
Sehrish Khan Class 9
Mohammad Awais Class-7